Tuesday 29 April 2008

Save me from Comic Sans

I have had enough now. After years of trying to convince my own students not to use Comic Sans in their design work, I want to spread the word. I know it is nothing knew and the 'Ban comic sans website has been up and running for a for years now, please can we just stop now! Since moving to Nottingham, I have seen far too many poor uses of the offending font. It's not that I hate the font, just how over used it is in the wrong context. I have seen it as shop signage, on posters, memo's and many other items. The proliferation of it's use does make me think of Erik Speikermann's quote about poor typography. I am paraphrasing, but just because you give someone the tools to design doesn't make them a designer! It reminds me of the theory that if you give a monkey a typewriter and enough time he will come up with Shakespeare. (Don't quite know where I heard this one, so don't quote me) The problem is the time aspect. Design is usually turned around quickly and those who are not designers will not be able to understand the subtleties of font choice. It may look rounded and friendly, but that doesn't make it suitable!

Check out the Bancomicsans website.

No comments: